Friday, March 5, 2010

Creamy Curry Chicken With Yellow Rice

I got so tired of my chicken recipes and was looking for something new......I have to tell you that I won't just make any chicken recipe. First of all the recipe has to look good and delicious on a photograph before I even try to make the recipe (therefore I will not buy a recipe book unless there are beautiful pictures of all the food in it.) Secondly, I do not want to struggle to get a hold of the ingredients........ If I see some ingredients that sound like Greek to me I loose interest.... So by the way I absolutely love Greek food.....it is the language I don't understand!


































I found this delicious creamy curry chicken recipe and modified it. People these days are more aware of eating healthy and the good thing about this recipe is that it contains many spices that are great for your health like turmeric, garam masala, coriander, cumin, ginger, etc. My kids love this dish and at the same time I know it is healthy for them. Enjoy!



















































































































Ingredients:
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
4 split (2 whole) skinless, boneless chicken breasts cut into 1-inch/2.5cm pieces
1 large onion cut in to pieces
2 garlic cloves minced
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon garam masala
1 pinch of ground ginger
1 1/4 cups of coconut milk
1 cup canned chopped tomatoes
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons corn starch
salt
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro

Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy-bottom pan over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook for 6 to 8 minutes, turning frequently, until lightly browned and cooked through. Remove from the pan and set aside. Add the onion and sauté for a few minutes. Add the garlic, cumin, turmeric, ground coriander, garam masala, ginger and cook for one minute.

Mix the corn starch with the coconut milk until smooth. Return the chicken to the pan and stir in the coconut milk, brown sugar and tomatoes. Cook over medium heat and stir for 1 to 2 minutes. Partially cover and cook for 15 more minutes until the sauce has reduced and thickened. Stir in the lemon juice and season with salt.

Rice:
I use brown rice cooked in water with salt and 1 teaspoon of turmeric.

Serve the creamy chicken curry on a bed of yellow rice sprinkled with fresh cilantro.

Tip: If you double the above mentioned recipe one can of coconut milk (13.5 FL. OZ./400ml) and one can chopped tomatoes (14.5 OZ/411g) will be adequate.





















All ingredients should be available at your local supermarket.

All images taken by me

7 comments:

  1. ai, hoe wens ek nou ek kon 'n gas wee aan jou tafel met hierdie curry hoender!Ek sal dit selfs die volgende dag ook wil he, dan eers lekker, dink ek. Lyk heerlik en jou geelrys laat my verlang na geelrys en rosyne...wanneer laas het ek dit geeet! mooie fotos ook, so aptytlik!
    Ronelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ag, baie dankie Ronell! Ek maak altyd die resep dubbel en moet se....ja, dit is lekkerder die volgende dag! Jy (julle) is altyd welkom om hier te kom kuier by ons dan maak ek die resep vir julle! Ek sal sommer vir jou geelrys met rosyne en bobotie ook maak!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My daughter, Vanessa, was just asking for curry this week! I'm definitely going to try this recipe, it looks so tasty and healthy too! How many people does the recipe feed?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Sandi...it really is delicious and easy to make! Rather double the recipe for your family......I double it but then four of us eat twice of it. (Christine eats like a bird....so I think if you want to feed four adults double everything....remember to double the spices as well and what is so nice you will notice my "Tip"......one can coconut milk and one can chopped tomatoes will be adequate!)....have fun making it and enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks delicious! Question though: Why do you call this curry chicken when there is no curry in it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Garam Masala is a mix of different curry’s

      Delete
    2. Garam Masala is a curry!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails